Uncategorized

4,850 migrants have crossed Nagorno-Karabakh into Armenia as of Monday


A refugee man leans out of the window of a bus after registering at a centre of the Armenian foreign affairs ministry, near the border town of Kornidzor, September 24, 2023. /CFP

A refugee man leans out of the window of a bus after registering at a centre of the Armenian foreign affairs ministry, near the border town of Kornidzor, September 24, 2023. /CFP

A refugee man leans out of the window of a bus after registering at a centre of the Armenian foreign affairs ministry, near the border town of Kornidzor, September 24, 2023. /CFP

As of noon local time on Monday, 4,850 migrants have entered the Republic of Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh region, the Armenian government said on social media.

Thousands of migrants fled the region of Nagorno-Karabakh after the region’s fighters was defeated by Azerbaijan last week.

The Armenian government said it would remain in place until all those who wanted to leave the Nagorno-Karabakh region were able to go. Meanwhile, they urged residents to hold back from crowding the roads out, to allow the evacuation of the injured.

It said free fuel would be provided on Monday for all those who wanted to leave the territory.

The authorities of Nagorno-Karabakh accepted a proposal by Russian peacekeepers for a ceasefire from 0900 GMT on Wednesday with Azerbaijan.

The United Nations on Thursday called for a durable cessation of hostilities between Azerbaijan and Armenia following the latest escalation in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

“We call for a credible and durable cessation of all hostilities. Any renewed escalation would lead to further loss of life and human suffering and further set back internationally supported peace efforts,” said Miroslav Jenca, UN assistant secretary-general for Europe, Central Asia and the Americas.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the mountainous region of Nagorno-Karabakh since 1988. Peace talks have been held since 1994, when a cease-fire was agreed on, but there have been sporadic minor clashes since then. 

A new round of major armed conflict broke out along the contact line on September 27, 2020, before Russia brokered a new cease-fire agreement on November 9, 2020. Tensions have remained since. 

(With input from agencies)



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button