Sudan’s army chief traveled to Qatar on Thursday for talks with the country’s emir, making his third international trip since fighting broke out between the military and a rival paramilitary force in April, Sudanese state media said.

Sudan plunged into chaos almost five months ago when long-simmering tensions between the military, led by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, escalated into open warfare on April 15.

Al-Burhan planned to hold talks with Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, in the Qatari capital, Doha, according to the state-run SUNA news agency.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

In a video posted by the Sudanese army, al-Burhan was filmed leaving a plane in Doha and numerous Qatari officials greeting him on an airport tarmac.

Acting Foreign Minister Ali al-Sadiq and Gen. Ahmed Ibrahim Mufadel, head of the General Intelligence Authority, accompanied him on the trip, SUNA said.

The visit comes amid a flurry of similar diplomatic meetings convened in Egypt and South Sudan.

Al-Burhan held talks about the conflict with South Sudan’s president, Salva Kiir, on Monday in Juba.

Last week, the general met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi of in the Egyptian coastal city of el-Alamein, al-Burhan’s first trip abroad since the conflict broke out. Few details were made public about either trip.

The conflict in the northeast African country is estimated to have killed at least 4,000 people, according to the UN human rights office. Activists and doctors on the ground say the toll is likely far higher.

The fighting has displaced more than 5 million people, according to the most recent figures produced by the UN’s International Organization for Migration.

Despite international efforts, the conflict has shown few signs of easing. Formal peace negations mediated by the United States and Saudi Arabia in the Kingdom’s coastal town of Jeddah were adjourned in late June with both mediators publicly calling out the Rapid Support Forces and the army for continually violating agreed-to truces.

There have been at least nine cease-fires between the army and the RSF since the fighting broke out. All were violated.

Read more:

More than 5 million people displaced by Sudan conflict, UN agency says

Egypt announces first direct flight from Cairo to Port Sudan

US sanctions deputy leader of Sudan’s RSF over human rights abuses


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button